The Holland Young Professionals was the first YP organization in the Western Michigan area, sparking a trend that continues to grow and evolve. The organization was formed in light of Richard Florida’s book “Rise of the Creative Class” and the organized discussions held by the Holland Area Chamber of Commerce and the City of Holland on how to make Holland “cool”.
The founders of HYP, Barry Rice, Mat Nguyen and Robyn Wennersten had been actively involved in the creative class initiatives and saw an opportunity for the young professionals in Holland to form a group and start working together. HYP kicked-off with its first event on December 2, 2003. The group has steadily grown since that time, and now has a network of over 400 members.
The Mission of the Holland Young Professionals is to lead the effort to develop, establish and promote opportunities for young professionals in West Michigan and enhance the region’s ability to attract and retain young professionals
- Provide opportunities for young professionals in Holland to meet and interact
- Cultivate and nurture emerging leaders
- Attract and retain young talent in the Holland area
- Organize and encourage community involvement
- Work with existing organizations